I suppose it is possible for a person to be addicted to anything. Sure I posted over 100 entries to my blog in the last 11 days. Yes that is overkill but I wouldn’t say I’m totally addicted to blogging. (I had a couple of large projects on the go that required that many posts. Blogging fun but I don’t let it control me.
If you find yourself addicted to your own blog, I have found a source that may be helpful to you. Please, read on.
Twelve Steps To Blog Addiction Recovery (BAR)
There is no cure for Blog Addiction. But there is recovery. We call this proecss Blog Recovery Basics (BRB) fueled by our unique 12 step program:
1. We admitted we were powerless over our addiction – that our blogs had become unmanageable
2. Came to believe that a Sys Admin greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity
3. Made a decision to turn our blogs, logins and passwords over to a trusted third party
4. Made a searching and fearless content inventory of our blogs
5. Admitted to Bloglines, to Feedburner and Technorati being the exact nature of our overposting
6. Were entirely ready to have the RSS and Atom feeds removed from our sites
7. Humbly asked our blogroll to remove links to us
8. Made a list of all blogs we had linked, and became willing to delete them all
9. Made chmods to our directories wherever possible
10. Continued to take content inventory and when we were tempted to blog, promptly admitted it
11. Sought through coffee and Tivo to improve our time offline and resolved to not check our Technorati rankings more than once a day
12. Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to other addicts, and to practice these principles in all our affairs.
I never realized this was a legitimite problem for some people until now but apparently millions of people struggle with overposting on their blogs. For some it costs their health, others their families. (Same source as above).
I’m not (and never really was addicted to blogging (although it is very fun sometimes) and you don’t have to be either.
Hope that was entertaining for you!